Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Post Election Day "weirdness"

Am I the only one who's a complete emotional WRECK today?

The events of the last several months- everything to do with this election and politics etc, have really taken their toll on me. I'm an emotional basket case! I really had no idea I would react the way I have to the outcomes of yesterday. I guess I had some suppressed feelings I wasn't admitting to or something. I also had very little sleep last night.

By 7:00 am this morning there was no more hot water for my shower. Why, you ask? Because, for the second night in a row Annabelle has woken up in a pile of barf! She was really fussy throughout the night and after getting up with her at 2 o'clock and 4 o'clock already, at 6 o'clock when she fussed again, I sent James in- who was about to wake up anyway. I smelled the yuckiness as soon as he opened her bedroom door. We bathed her and James showered too, so by the time she was taken care of and I was ready to wash away the barfy smell, there was no hot water.

So that only added to the "weirdness" I was feeling today. I don't know what else to call it. Lately I've felt like all of a sudden I don't recognize the America I thought I lived in. As much as I know that being politically aware and involved is important, I also think that being ignorant has its benefits! Now when I'm walking at the park and pass a stranger, I wonder, "are they a Democrat? Did they vote to save the chickens but against requiring a minor to inform her parents before getting an abortion?" I can't help but wonder where this nation is headed when I hear all this rhetoric about the "poor cows and hens" but that a 13 year old shouldn't have to tell anyone that she snuck over to some dumpy clinic to have the "oops" of last month taken care of.

I have been somewhat involved in the effort to support proposition 8 here as well. Never in my whole life have I been so scorned or flipped off or yelled at with hateful words than the last few weeks. If these people could see into my heart, they would know that my position on this issue is well informed and 100% hate and prejudice free. Just because the measure passed, doesn't mean that this awfulness is over, either. Today I had the overwhelming feeling that this is the beginning of the beginning.

As for the presidential outcome, I really thought that I would be less affected by it. I respect Barack Obama and think that he will do what he thinks is best for this nation. But, when I saw the defeated look on John McCain's face and others with him, I burst into tears. Over the last 5 1/2 years, James and I feel like we have really gotten to know him. We respect him and his wife and feel like they are hard working true and proud Americans and that Senator McCain really has what it takes to run this great country. I just had no idea that I was so emotionally attached to the idea of him as the commander in chief.

All that being said, it was one of the most beautiful days that I've seen since moving to California. It rained for only the second time in 6 months yesterday. I was drenched by the time I got to my voting booth after waiting in line in the rain for 20 minutes! Today it was cool and fresh and sunny. It was great. That helped my weird emotional situation, I think.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

I didn't even watch the results this year. The media was so giddy I'm suprised they weren't high fiving and bumping chests. Oh well, I wasn't into it so much this go around. I didn't register up here and forgot to get an absentee(sp) ballot when I was home last month. GASP!

Suz said...

I have been so confused lately with the prop 8. I am in no way shape or form against gays, my brother-in-law is gay, but I believe that a family is one man and one women. I don't think that the government should be able to change the definition of a family. But I also believe that who am I to tell 2 people they can't be married. But the last couple of days I have really thought long and hard about how I would vote on prop 8 and I would vote yes. Not because of what the church has to say but because of what my heart says. I am so glad to find someone who truly feels the way I feel about the election. I haven't cried but I have this uneasy feeling about the whole thing. I am glad I have my faith to cling to, and that I know all is well as long as I do what is right. I am sorry this is so long. I am sorry people were so rude to you. I feel like they don't understand why we feel the way we feel. Not out of hate but out of love for our own families. We don't want the sacredness taken away or defaced. Thanks for listening. It felt good to put into words how I am feeling.

Jess and Jer said...

I know how ya feel, I didn't even have to vote on the prop 8 thing and it was hard for me. I also found out that apparently there is a protest going on at temple square tonight about it. That is so frustrating to me and I don't see why they think that will change our opinion or help their cause or why we are being specifically targeted we aren't the only ones who voted for it. I can only hope things will get better at this point.

Bowdens said...

I just wanted to tell you that your kiddos are so cute! I voted for them and good luck!!
I am also so happy that Prop 8 passed it California. I think that it is a miracle. Also hooray for prop 102 in AZ! I agree...I think this country is headed for some scary times, but with those two propositions passing, there is hope!

jen morgan said...

Wow. I feel for you. I didn't even vote on anything this year. I was totally disillusioned. I can't imagine the stress of living in CA right now. Kathy just sent me a video of people protesting at the Temple in CA today. :(

Beth said...

DITTO, Jenny. You are so eloquent and put words to everything that I've been feeling lately. I think Prop 8/prop 102 (in AZ) passing is exciting, but just the beginning of some difficult tomorrows.

Angie said...

All I can say, is it is great to see that you are so informed and care so much! Too many Americans don't give a darn about what's going on. They only want a quick-fix bandaid that will give them instant gratification. It really is a scary thing to think about our country. It is so totally like the BOM times when the people prosper and then are chastened. I oculd go on and on too about the terrible state of our country. I'm so glad Prop 8 passed because like some of the others, I do think that gays should have some civil rights, but "marriage" should be defined as a man and a woman!

Shemaine Smith said...

Your post was filled with alot of courage. I too cried during Senator McCain's speech and was very sad that we were defeated. i respect our president but like any other politician as soon as he claimed victory he began going back on promises. We will see what happens in his term and how much better off we'll really be. About Prop 8 while I also believe that marriage is between a man and a woman I can not deny how many children are rescued from the system by adoptive gay couples. Just because you have parents who are gay does not mean the children are going to grow up gay. I have seen proof of this first hand. Single adoption is nearly impossible gay or straight and there are so many wrong people that are foster parents for a paycheck while the children left in their care are abused. Plus when you single out a group of people like Prop 8 what is next?? Handcapped people being unable to work or drive? I have said all along that I feel they should be able to join in a union of two people committed to eachother. Again I am so inspired by your courageous post!