A couple of weekends ago, some girlfriends and I spent the weekend at the beach near San Clemente just relaxing, talking, playing games, boogie boarding and sunning ourselves. Each one of our husbands have just completed their internship year of residency. Each one of us agreed that this last year has been one of the most challenging of our lives. It was so interesting to hear what we had all learned from the challenges we'd faced. Many of us had learned the same things. Here's a sampling of our discussions:
*Communication with our spouses is soooo important. When our husbands were on 100 hour weeks its nearly impossible to find time together, but there are ways to keep the communication going- texting, email, telephone, notes etc.
*It often seems like, though we are a couple, we're living seperate lives. It's important to work as a team- to build on the things that make us happy TOGETHER and keep in mind our family "mission statement."
*The lifestyle of the family of a medical resident is just as challenging as for the resident him/herself. It is just as strenuous- mentally and physically. There has to be a level of understanding there... and compassion for one another despite how tired EVERYONE is.
That's enough for now. Picture time! :)
Over the last three and a half weeks, we had my sister-in-law Lyna and my two nieces Shiloh and Alissa here with us. We had some pretty great times and made some awesome memories. Some of them include
-Charlie dousing us in sand at the beach
-Annabelle sand crabbing her way toward the water just as fast as she could- her face full of sand
-Alissa reading bedtime stories to the boys at night
-Alissa trying to somersault down the hill and it looking more like a rubber chicken with a lead ball for a head..... something impossible to describe and UBER HILARIOUS to witness.
-Shiloh, sharting, shi-poohing, shleeping, and shmiling
-Dillon's big alligator tears as we watched them leave....
It was awesome. Come back soon guys!!









10 comments:
LOVED hearing your collective insights on how to cope with internship. It's going to be rough, i can tell. What a fun group you wives are! I'm so happy that you guys were able to get together and kick-off what will hopefully be an easier year.
What a fun girls trip! I loved reading what you all had learned over the year and I'm learning how important it is to take time for myself...like getting a babysitter so I can go to lunch! But the communication thing is hard! Great to see pictures of you girls! Sounds like you're having a great summer!
Jenny, I love your blog. Thanks for sharing. I will check back often for more picture updates. As you already know, your family is gorgeous.
I am so glad you wrote the things down. I am soooo happy we got to get together. It is hard to put into words how great it was. I am so thankful we have each other for support. I hope we can do this every year. Thanks for all your help in planning it. Loves
Hey Jenny, I'm so glad you were able to see your friends! I have to say all the comments you ladies came up with really hit home with me too! Especially the one about having separate lives, internship year is psycho! I agree it's so important to stay close and connected with one another and the Lord.
Hi Jenny, I just stopped by to say hi. I was thinking about you this weekend as I took my family and hiked Kotter's Trail. I had to tell Justin all about how you fell and got all BROKEN up. It was so SCARY! oh, the memories!
-Emily
Sounds like you guys had such a fun trip! It's so fun to see pictures of all those new little babies!
What a fun weekend you had! I really need another girl's weekend. My bucket is definitely NOT full...ahhh! Nervous break down is more appropriate! How crazy that you now live the life of a resident's wife. My sis-in-law is now surviving year 4 of my brother's 5 year surgery residency. She started a blog for all resident wives that she knows. It's great. I think it's private, but I should give her your email address so you can join in on the discussions.
My oldest wants to name this next baby Charlie too! How funny is that. Looks like you guys are living it up. How long does the residency thing last?
Thanks for your post. You had some great pictures and thanks for writing about the talks you guys had... I loved to hear about it and can relate of course :)
Post a Comment