Monday, May 09, 2011

Lazy, laundry and leftovers Monday

I think Monday is the perfect day to blog. If only I had more Mondays with only laundry on my to-do list! Maybe then each post wouldn't take 40 minutes to read through!

This last month or so has been FULL to the brim of things that probably seem pretty normal, but to me, they are what makes my life meaningful and joyful. I have been so full of intense gratitude lately. I feel like the most blessed person in the whole world. Now, especially considering my mental and emotional state in previous pregnancies at around this stage, Its nothing short of a miracle that I'm feeling so upbeat! Last time I just knew, with the dawn of each new day, that I would not survive another. This time, I'm trying not to take any single day for granted. This is probably my last pregnancy - last time feeling that miracle happening inside of me, last of those precious inner kicks, wiggles and hiccups.... I guess my sentimentality has gotten the better of me- I usually reserve this stuff for my journal! ;-)

What's going on in the world of Dillon these days? I'm blessed to have him as my oldest and most helpful child.



He has recently made a goal to make some really good friends and has been making some good progress! We've had fewer rainy days and so he's outside as much as possible. There's a cute group of boys in the neighborhood who meet at the park after school - if its not raining - to have cap-gun wars for a 1/2 hour before hittin' the homework and chores. If he's not doing that, he's riding his bike. He has been pulling up his math scores steadily since moving here. In reading and other subjects, his scores are among the highest in his class. He recently won an award for his outstanding "self-managing" which translates to - following rules, good attendance, grades and citizenship. What I love about Dillon is that he has this amazingly huge imagination. He dreams up entire worlds and civilizations in his head - based on a character from a book, or a lego figure or whatever it is they're learning about in school. He has a couple of notebooks full of stories he's begun - with elaborate illustrations - none of them finished because he has moved on to new inspirations, new fantasy worlds. He's still taking piano lessons and is beginning to gain real confidence to the point that he now welcomes any chance he gets to perform!

Mr. Charlie. We still have our ups and downs, but there's no question that he is by far still my loving-est child. He has such a big heart and nothing makes him happier than just spending time with his family. He began t-ball so enthusiastically, until the second game where he nearly froze to death in the outfield!





Now that the weather is warmer, he's getting much more in to it. He has a great swing and a fairly decent arm as well! He likes to play catcher just like his brother and to be honest, is the only kid on his team tall enough to really fit in the catcher's gear. He still eats, sleeps, and breathes legos and still sleeps with his stuffed goofy. We recently started back up with our "Mommy-bucks" reward system. He is diligently earning and saving them to exchange for one of the new "Pirates of the Caribbean" lego sets.



At the most recent parent teacher conferences, his teacher said something about him that just hit the nail on the head. She said, "Yes, he is compulsive and he's still learning to control his actions, but whenever he goofs, he almost immediately gets this 'Charlie face' that says, 'Oh man, I did it again, didn't I?' You can't help but love him!" Couldn't have said it better myself!

Little Princess Annie is growing so fast. She refuses to be called "baby girl" anymore and is often the instigator of many a game of chase or wrestling! Don't get me wrong, she gets girly-er every day as well! Unlike the boys, finding friends has been incredibly easy for her here.




She is never bored and one of her favorite activities is to help me with whatever chore I am doing. Now THAT is a trait I hope she never out grows! She has begun to make her bed by herself every day and is becoming MUCH more opinionated about what she likes and doesn't like. She still doesn't really eat bread, but the other day I somehow got her to eat half of a heart-shaped peanut butter sandwich! Progress people! She recently got a princess scooter and lives to go outside on sunny days and ride around. Her very favorite day of the week is Sunday because she gets to see all her friends, all her babysitters, and to top it off, she gets to dress-up! She can't wait to lay out her dress and shoes and pick her bows out. Its all so very magical. :0)




Here are some photos of her preschool Mother's day tea performance..... which I actually missed due to my latest ultrasound. Luckily, friends got lots of pictures and Annie performed some of it for me at home. :)






We have a name picked out for our soon-to-be born baby boy. However, we've decided to keep it a secret - a decision that I struggle with every day! I want to call him his name instead of that dreadful, "crap-my-keys" nickname! The kids are constantly calling him that and I'm constantly having to explain to people WHY! Its funny, but gets old fast. Anyway, at my last doctor appointment, they explained why I've had such crazy back pain - despite the obvious reasons - the baby is positioned almost entirely on my right side causing my back muscles to constantly try and compensate for the uneven weight. He is measuring big - almost 5 lbs already! At the last ultrasound they had fabulous news. His kidneys are now within the normal range for his size, although they will be watching him closely after birth. My blood pressure was up, so that's a concern, but for now nothing to lose sleep over. Here's his latest "photo shoot:"



I have a new church calling which is allowing me opportunities to get to know the sisters in my ward much better. It was hard to say goodbye to Primary and sometimes in Relief Society I feel guilty - like I should be in Primary! But, I'm enjoying it thoroughly. I have been busy making things for the new baby. Since he probably won't need any bows, I've endeavored to improve my sewing skills, which has resulted in about a dozen burp cloths, and these two fun projects.




Spring break came directly after general conference last month. I was impressed that I needed to have a project for the boys to work on that was meaningful. We decided to make blankets and put together hygiene kits for the church's humanitarian effort.




In order to have the money for these projects, we listed a few things on craigslist that, conveniently, sold VERY quickly! It was fun and the boys were so cute about picking out fabric and toothpaste. Annabelle had a couple of fun play-dates that week. We met some friends at an indoor "bouncy-house park" which was great fun. At the end of a great week, daddy was off work and we took a trip over to Leavenworth Washington. A friend had mentioned it knowing James had served his mission in Germany. When we arrived, we felt like we'd been suddenly transported to Alpenland! It was a cute little German-esc town surrounded by impressively Alp-like mountains. We loved all the German bakeries, shops and restaurants! The hotel had a pool and so for my children who are part fish, that was the first order of the day! We ate at a place with all the German details - even an accordian player! Our bellies were somewhat in shock by all the carbs and greasy meat, but it was worth it! So much to do in two short days - miniature golf, hiking, petting zoo, park, and tons of sight-seeing. It was an enchanting little place - perfect for a short trip to cap-off Spring break!


















I love Easter. I love how in our religion, its such a joyful celebration of Christ's atonement. I love the hymn, "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" and all the happy signs of Spring! What is my favorite thing about it? Coordinating the kids' Easter Sunday outfits. How shallow is that? Nevertheless, I do love it and they were so cute this year. What was remarkable different from previous years was how cooperative they all were for the annual "I'm so cute on Easter" photo! I guess because they're getting so much older.... sniff sniff....




The Easter Bunny couldn't hide the eggs this year due to the pouring rain, so he left them in a basket and we had an indoor egg hunt after church. ;0)
The ward "Father-son campout" is something that James and the boys look forward to every year. This year there were a few differences from years past. #1 - It was called the "Father - Child campout" because unlike our previous ward, there are several families that aren't blessed with boys! #2- they camped in bunkhouses or in my guys' case, the van!









It rained nearly the entire time - especially during the night. #3 - In previous years they've come home dirty and tired. This year they came home MUDDY, WET and exhausted! Which, for boys, translates into the absolute "funnest campout EVER!"

Some of our new friends invited us to a "Fiesta Fantastico" party last weekend. Knowing that there would be prizes for dressing up and for the best food, we brought home-made salsa (which incidently, WON) and did our best to look.... as Mexican as you can without ponchos or sombreros! We had a great time - thanks Holyoaks!!






I was incredibly spoiled yesterday on Mother's day! James had awakened the kids early to make me a grand breakfast in bed - complete with all my favorites: grits, eggs, home-made toast, and fruit. Then it was the cards and letters that I always love and hugs and kisses all day long. James got me some gorgeous flowers and the diaper bag I had been stalking online! He also made dinner - all of this despite his bronchitis! I am so blessed.



YAY FOR SUNSHINE!!

4 comments:

The Holyoaks said...

You go girl! I'm so happy for you to be caught up! I love all the updates. I learned so much, which seems so weird since I see you so often. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome job documenting all this. Now I really want to visit Leavenworth again. My kids have never been there. How lame is that?! Love all the pictures.

millie said...

Yay, for getting caught up! I loved reading about what you've been up to. I can't believe how big Annabelle has gotten! We are missing the west coast pretty severely, but we got our orders to Spain today...so we will be on a "west coast" again soon!! I'm so happy your pregnancy is going well and that you're in good spirits! I can't wait to see pic of your newest little gentleman! lots of love...Millie

Misty said...

I tried to read this in Hawaii but the pictures didn't all load! Your kids DID look super cute on Easter and I grew up here - we always had indoor egg hunts. Phil was appalled at the thought the first year here! =)

Your kids are great and I'm glad you guys had so much fun over Spring Break!

What a good Conference idea. I'll have to do that next year for my kids. Keep them engaged in something at least!