Monday, January 26, 2009

Wild Animal Park

What would you do on a rainy day in January? Go to the Zoo??

Why not?


Saturday was the first day of our new annual passes to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal park. We'd never been to the WAP, so decided to give it a try. We're SO impressed.



Just a really wierd looking bird. I don't remember what he's called, but he seemed friendly and we were literally inches away from him. Do you see the eyelashes??





The Gorillas were really cool. None of them were sleeping. In the few minutes we stopped to gaze they ate, climbed, fist-fought, threw sticks at each other and (as in the photo below) posed ever so gracefully, for some photographs.







It is all outdoor- there are hardly any cages. The Kilimajoro Trail (or whatever it's called) is just like walking out into the African wilderness!



Giraffs, Lions, Cheetahs, Elephants, Rhinos and whatever those deer-looking ones are... all just out in the open, like we were the ones out of place!








The park is in a gorgeous area of North San Diego county and the views are breath taking.





I can't remember why Annie's so ticked off in this photo... not really characteristic, but cute anyhow ;)



Don't you think Meerkats are just the coolest little creatures?



What zoo is complete without a carousel?





As we were heading back to the car, Charlie said, "Wow, that was a really great 'aventure'!"



Always a sign that they've had a good day.

9 comments:

Angie said...

How fun! Great pictures! The last one is so funny. Ouch, poor Charlie's neck! Haha!

Talene said...

looks like your fam is doing good! Your kiddos are SO big!

Tiffany Unsworth said...

So I've been reading your blog for about 10 minutes and then only take a few seconds to comment-- I've loved catching up with your family! You're an awesome mom! I remember your baby bro-- can't believe he's getting married! Love you and loved the Christmas card!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

I LOVE the wild animal park! We should go together sometime! We just got our new season pass a couple days ago too. Okay Jenny love, I must have some of your baby bows!! Seriously soo cute! Are you selling them?? I will be your next best customer!

jen morgan said...

That looks like an amazing day, and SO much fun! I'm a little jealous! ;)

Jenny said...

I want to live by you.

Beth said...

SO FUN! I love the in the car picture.. isn't that satisfying for a mom?? Now, THAT'S a good day :)

Anonymous said...

I loved the WAP. You got some awesome pictures. We only went there once when we were there, but it was on a rainy day as well. Hopefully, we will be able to go back there soon. :) There are three billet for Camp pendleton so I think we are going to go for one. Talk to you soon. loves

millie said...

I love the last photo....that's how you know your adventure was truly awesome...a peaceful ride home!