Friday, April 07, 2006

Freaky 48 hours


When I was visiting my family I had an interesting couple of days. I hope those involved won't mind me sharing it. I think I could win some kind of award for the "freakiest 48 hours ever!"

It all started Monday night after a 13 hour car-ride with my two kids and two 8 week old puppies. We arrived late and by the time we unloaded and got everyone settled it was VERY late. Exhausted, I pulled down the covers to hop in bed and found what appeared to be a couple of dead baby mice! I screamed and subsequently woke up Charlie. I took down the port-a-crib and moved us both in with Dillon who had nightmares all night and I had only an hour or two of sleep (mostly due to the heeby jeebies from the dead mice)!

The following morning I arose early to get ready to go to an event with a friend. I told my Dad and Kevin about the mice and we went down to clean them up. We discovered that it was not dead mice but freshly birthed mice (a total of 9 babies and one mother mouse)!! They were not dead, but rather quite alive and ICKY!!!!!!!!! We flushed them and removed all the bedding for cleaning. I left Dillon upstairs with Kevin who was making breakfast so I could search for my missing car keys. I was going to be late for the event. After 5 minutes or so, Dillon came running down to me frantic, "Mommy, you have to come. . . Kevin has juice all over his face!" What had happened was that Kevin had tripped on one of the puppies, dropped the spatula in the blender and it had exploded egg, milk and flour mixture all over the kitchen and himself! We proceeded to clean up and in the process the laundry room sink was clogged and the laundry room flooded (including a box of detergent)! The egg mixture was a bit like plaster. It took hours to clean up. I made it to the event (very late) and had a nice time. I had left the children and puppies with my sister. As I was leaving the event to go to lunch with my friend, I received a frantic call from her explaining that she was alone with the kids and puppies and that Charlie had fallen down the stairs and the puppies had gotten out and relieved themselves all over the living room! "PLEASE come home!" So I resolved not to go to lunch and just head home. After a few minutes she called back and had gotten everything under control, so I went ahead and enjoyed a quick lunch with my buddy and headed home. Later that day after thoroughly cleaning up the mouse mess and preparing myself to climb into bed, I discovered mouse TERDS all over the clean sheets. That was it. I lost it and once again climbed in to bed with my 4 year- old after a good cry. This is getting really long, but I'm not done! I woke up at 3 am to severe nausea and suffered vomitting and diahrrea for the next 24 hours. FOOD POISONING! Yeah. It happened like that.

The pic is of James with all three of the new puppies! They're an "armful"!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, yes i know that was one of the craziest 2 days ever! I still get the heebie jeebies when i go down in "The mice room". Nastiest thing EVER!!!

Anonymous said...

SOUND LIKE THE LUCK OF A JONES!